Developer question: Avalanche Native Tokens (ANTs) vs. ERC-20s

jsteave

Blocked
Jun 26, 2021
Albania
I'm a developer new to the Avalanche ecosystem. I'm having some trouble understanding the key difference between ANTs and ERC-20s (or ERC-777s for that matter).

I understand that they operate on different chains (ANTs on X-Chain and ERC Tokens on C-Chain). Is that the only difference? Maybe the better question is are there any functional differences between the X and C Chains? (I understand the C-Chain is for interacting with smart contracts, and I'm guessing the C-Chain is an EVM?)

If someone were to launch a token, why would they choose ANTs over ERC-20/777 or vice versa? Are gas fees paid in AVAX for both?

The best resource I've found so far is this bit of documentation, but I'm hoping someone in the community can help clear up the confusion I'm facing. Thanks!

jsteave

Blocked
Jun 26, 2021
Albania
I'm a developer new to the Avalanche ecosystem. I'm having some trouble understanding the key difference between ANTs and ERC-20s (or ERC-777s for that matter).

I understand that they operate on different chains (ANTs on X-Chain and ERC Tokens on C-Chain). Is that the only difference? Maybe the better question is are there any functional differences between the X and C Chains? lembergsolutions.com/drupal-development (I understand the C-Chain is for interacting with smart contracts, and I'm guessing the C-Chain is an EVM?)

If someone were to launch a token, why would they choose ANTs over ERC-20/777 or vice versa? Are gas fees paid in AVAX for both?

The best resource I've found so far is this bit of documentation, but I'm hoping someone in the community can help clear up the confusion I'm facing. Thanks!
thanks in advance for any help